"City plumber Anthony Thompson risks it all as he heads off for reserves duty as G.I. in Afghanistan,"
Daily News, January 4, 2010.
Department of Building’s plumbing inspector, Anthony Thompson, was profiled in the Daily News for his work helping the military build plumbing systems at U.S. bases and in Afghan villages.
"Video Shows Potentially Unsafe Working Conditions at Construction Site (video),” NBC News, June 9, 2010
Buildings Commissioner Robert LiMandri highlighted the importance of safety measures at construction sites after viewing a video of a worker on a scaffold without a harness in midtown Manhattan.
"New Seminars for Backyard Bar Owners,"
New York Post, January 12, 2010.
The Department of Buildings and the Small Business Administration worked with Community Board 1 to create a seminar that will educate backyard garden owners about rules and regulations pertaining to their outdoor spaces.
"Developers Jump on Program for Stalled Projects," Crain’s New York, March 25, 2010.
Crain’s NY highlights the Department of Building’s Stalled Sites program, which aims to facilitate work at construction sites that are not being properly maintained because construction has been stalled.
More on Stalled Sites:
- "DOB: Activate Long Idle Work Sites," The Queen’s Gazette, April 28, 2010.
- “Buildings Department Volunteers with Habitat for Humanity,” ABC News, June 18.
ABC’s 5:00 news broadcast featured a segment on the Buildings Department and Habitat and Humanity Buildings Commissioner LiMandri joined 20 volunteers from DOB to build Habitat for Humanity homes for 16 hard working families in Brooklyn.
"Department of Buildings Volunteers Build Habitat Homes in Brooklyn," Brooklyn Daily Eagle, June 24, 2010.
Department of Buildings (DOB) Commissioner Robert LiMandri and 20 DOB employees volunteered for Habitat for Humanity-New York City to build homes for 16 families in Bedford-Stuyvesant.
"Solar Panel Tax Abatements Available," Brooklyn Daily Eagle, June 11, 2010.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Department of Buildings (DOB) Commissioner Robert LiMandri announced that the City is seeking solar panel tax abatement applications from Brooklyn building owners to encourage the use of sustainable technology.
"Construction Safety Week-Watch Your Step," WNYC Radio, April 26, 2010.
In partnership with other City agencies, the Buildings Department hosted several events that educated the community, property owners, and members of the construction industry during the sixth annual Construction Safety Week.
"Buildings Department Makes Push for Safer Retaining Walls," Staten Island Advance, April 18, 2010.
A Department of Buildings inspector educated residents on how to recognize the signs that a retaining wall is in need of repair. The efforts are part of DOB’s initiative to offer penalty free, no charge inspections that will help ensure the proper maintenance of retaining walls.
"Fed Up With Scaffolding? New Type Unveiled at MetroTech," Brooklyn Daily Eagle, January 21, 2010.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Buildings Commissioner Robert D. LiMandri unveiled a new design for sidewalk sheds as part of the UrbanSHED program, an International design competition launched by the City of New York.
"City’s New ‘Umbrella’ Sidewalk Scaffold Design Revealed," DNAinfo, January 21. 2010.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Department of Buildings Commissioner Robert LiMandri reveal the winner of the urbanSHED design competition, sponsored by the Department of Buildings, the American Institute of Architects, the Alliance for Downtown New York and several others. The goal of the new designs is to improve the appearance of sidewalk sheds throughout New York City’s construction sites.
More on UrbanSHED:
- "Urban Umbrellas at Your Service," Cobble Hill Courier, January 29, 2010.
- "New ‘Urban Umbrellas’ to Replace NYC’s Sidewalk Sheds," The Epoch Times, January 21, 2010.
- "City Unfurls “Umbrellas," New York Post, January 22, 2010.
- "Meet ‘The Urban Umbrella’ – NYC’s New Sidewalk Shed," Gothamist, January 21, 2010.
"City Leaders Launch ‘NYC Cool Roofs Program,"
NY1, May 11, 2010.
NY1 broadcasted LIVE from the launch of the NYC °Cool Roofs program, collaboration between NYC Service and the NYC Buildings Department to coat 1 million square feet of rooftops around the City with a reflective white coating.
More on °Cool Roofs:
- "Easing Electric Bills with a Cool Paint Job," Daily News, May 19, 2010.
- "NYC Launches Cool Roofs Program," New York Construction, May 18, 2010.
- "Keeping Things Cool with White Rooftops," The Epoch Times, May 11, 2010
- "NYC Cool Roofs Program Launches," Gothamist, May 12, 2010.
- "Buildings, Con Ed Launch Cool Roofs Program," The Wave, May 14, 2010.
- "A million Square Feet of Cool Rooftops," Downtown Express, May 14, 2010.
- "City Rooftops get ‘Cool’ Makeover," The Queens Courier, May 18, 2010.
- "Cool White Roofs for a Sizzling Hot City," Queens Chronicle, May 20, 2010.
- "Con Ed, City Launch Cool Roofs Program Developed in LIC," Times Ledger, May 20, 2010.
- "Buildings Commissioner Paints Rooftop White to Cut Air Conditioning Costs," DNAinfo, June 30, 2010.
- "DOB Cools Rooftop of Agency Headquarters," Brooklyn Daily Eagle, July 1, 2010.
- "JetBlue Keeps Its Cool by Painting LIC White," Times Ledger, July 8, 2010.
- "Pols Work to Foster Responsible Energy Use," Downtown Express, July 21, 2010.
"NYC Launches urbancanvas Design Competition," New York Construction, June 24, 2010.
New York Construction News published a story on the urbancanvas Design Competition, a contest that allows professional artists to create designs that will eventually be displayed on temporary protective structures throughout New York City as a way to beautify its streetscapes.
More on urbancanvas:
- “NY Designers Nicing, Icing Installed Sites,” The Architects Newspaper Blog, July 15, 2010
- "City Launches Competition to Beautify Construction Sites," Real Estate Weekly, July 7, 2010.
- "City Design Competition Seeks to Beautify Construction Sites," DNAinfo, July 19 2010.
- "Turning Construction Sites into Works of Art," Downtown Express, July 21, 2010.
- "Artists Submit Urban Canvas Design," The Wave, July 30, 2010.